Friday, May 21, 2021

The Responsibility With Sons


I remember some people saying to me when Brock was born, where you have boys, you don't have to worry about them getting into trouble. I know what this seemingly innocent comment meant, from this older relative; and they are 100% wrong. 

Parents of girls have it tough, because there are men out there who will target them because of their gender. There are of course predators out there for children in general, as such I have been teaching Jake to protect himself (and will with Brock too). But during this process, I'm also teaching him about concent. Parents or girls teach out of necessity, but Parents of boys should be teaching our boys what is or isn't ok. The phrase "my body, my rules" is spoken in our house frequently. I say it from time to time so Jake knows it's not just for him, it goes for everyone. And thanks to YouTube video called "Pantasaurus" we stumbled on, he knows his private parts are his, and no one gets to see them or touch them. 

What brought about this post? Well a post appeared on my Facebook feed today. I won't go into great detail, but here in New Brunswick a 5 year old girl was at school and two boys did something to her. It has been approached as "they were being silly" and "playing a game". Again not getting into details, but if this had happened with adults, these boys would have charges against them and possibly be in custody. This is a battle this mother is fighting for her daughter right now. 

I gently told Jake about this and I have to say his reaction made me so proud. "But Mommy, it's her body, her rules", yes baby."But Mommy, her private parts belong to her" you are so right. "Mommy those boys did a bad thing. If was there I would have been her friend and told them no". 

Boys will be boys, they're being silly, they're just playing, they're too young to understand. Bull Shit! My three year old knows that he should not do this, it is NOT funny or fun, and he is three and can wrap his head around it. Parents of boys don't get to coast. And if you can't justify teaching them to protect some one else's kid, it's still your job to protect them. It's not easier having boys, because I'm protecting my boys from doing something that could get them in serious trouble. 

I can't verbally attack these boys, or their families, because I don't know them. Maybe the parents have tried teaching them and something they don't know of happened. I don't know what the circumstance are here, but I know they need to be addressed. The parents can't play this off as innocent, they need to do something if for no one else except their sons to save them from going further down this path. 

I'm thinking of all those involved. I can't even imagine what is happening to their families internally.

Mama Bear Out

Nancy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're not getting a Puppy, and B isn't old enough

Oh....hey...yeah...I kind of bailed huh? Well I had to choose something that had to go for my own sanity, and apparently this wa...