Monday, May 24, 2021

10 Years

People say the beginning of a relationship is the best part. I disagree, it’s the most exciting for sure, but not the best. Saturday Cale and I celebrated ten years of marriage, and I’m here to tell you it hasn’t all been pretty. That said, I’m very happy we’ve put in work and effort and while it’s not always going to be amazing, we’re in a good place right now. 
But back to the beginning, that excitement, this is what people expect to stick around, and honestly it’s good that it doesn’t. I think back to when we first started dating, I would not pass gas in front of him…honestly 14 years of holding it in, I would have major bowel issues. 
I was always concerned with looking hot for him. Well I tell you, I sit here in sweat pants wearing a shirt that likely has spit-up on it somewhere. Meanwhile, I’m more jiggly, and have stretch marks and scars that would have horrified 19 year old me. Most of that is the result of bringing his children into the world thank you very much. 
I remember one time, when we first moved in together, I cried when he left me alone for one night…now I would jump in bed and stretch my body as far as it could go.
I’m not saying I let one rip at every opportunity, I never gussy up for him, and I never miss him when he isn’t with me. I’m just saying those are far more superficial and less important in the whole scheme of things. We have two kids now, we only have so much effort to give. 
Cale always sets up the coffee maker for me in the morning before he goes to work. It sounds like a little thing, but he’s not here in the morning with the boys and I, and that is him trying to make it a little easier for me. He tries to wake up before his alarm. That sounds weird, because isn’t that what an alarm is for? He does it because he’s trying not to wake me. These seem like such small things, and things I overlook but they’re important. Our life is not everyone’s definition of exciting, some days it wouldn’t fall into mine. But it’s fulfilling and rewarding and we’re happy. People may read this post and think it’s just pointless, or boring, or our marriage sucks. To these people I say there are two people in this marriage, and unless you are one of them, it doesn’t matter what you say.
Our 10 year anniversary was celebrated with spinach dip, nachos, a big blanket and a movie. Just typing that makes me feel warm and content. I will leave this post wishing my partner in crime a very happy anniversary and wishing us many more to come.
Mama Bear out

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're not getting a Puppy, and B isn't old enough

Oh....hey...yeah...I kind of bailed huh? Well I had to choose something that had to go for my own sanity, and apparently this wa...