Monday, May 31, 2021

Brock's Birth story



I realized that I never shared my birth story with Brock on here. I posted quickly with Jake, but Brock’s went so much quicker, and everything with Brock has gone so much quicker. So if you’re squeamish, maybe don’t keep reading but here it is, the story of Brock’s birth.
About three months after we found out I was pregnant, covid hit, lockdown hit. And having a kidney syndrome I had a compromised immune system, and had my doctor put me out of work. This was also the time of the daycares closing, so Jake was home with me for two months. In those two months, I was basically always nauseous. What’s more, Cale had to miss almost every appointment. He and Jake were able to go in for the first ultrasound. He missed gender reveal, had to drive me to my weekly appointment with fetal assessment, but never went in. 
Unlike with Jake where I had the “Whatever happens, happens” Birth-plan, there was a little more structure this time. I had round 2 of gestational diabetes, as a result my obstetrician had no desire to have me go over 38 weeks. I also ended up with a C section with Jake because I didn’t progress in labour. So, the plan was this, we scheduled a C section for 38 weeks, but if I went into labour naturally, I would attempt a VBAC. 
A week before, my Mother-in-law came up, because the plan was for her to stay with Jake while all this was happening. I think it was the Wednesday night going into Thursday and I had unbearable itching. I ended up in Labour and Delivery, they gave me some meds and asked me to come back on Saturday to follow up. When we got there, they said they were worried about cholestasis, and moved my c section up to Monday. 
We got to the hospital early Monday morning, before Jake was even up. They did their little thing they do getting you prepped before taking you into the operating room. This is where I started really comparing notes. The spinal tap thing, I still will not say it hurt, but it was less comfortable this time. I feel like a lot of this was less pleasant because I was exhausted by the time I got to Jake, but I remember it better as a result.  I know I was super nauseous. They brought Cale in, and I really don’t remember much until I heard Brock cry, and then I cried. They put him on my chest, and I remember thinking how beautiful he was. The recovery room care was awesome. Cale was comfortable holding a baby this time, so he held/ cuddled Brock while I was stitched up. I had an incredible team in there ready to help me; I didn’t the first time. I felt nauseous; they had a bucket for me. I was super thirsty; they would give me sips of water. For me though the biggest thing was getting Brock to latch. The beginning of my nursing experience with Jake was a major struggle and it caused a lot of issues. I was determined to have Brock latch right away and avoid this same issue. I was trying and trying and almost getting it, but I was so out of it, it was a struggle. I had a nurse come and help me, and it all came flooding back. I did not have another issue with nursing him. 
We got into our room. I held him and did not hand him over except for diaper changes for the first 24 hours. Brock spent his first 24 hours of life being held by me. I am quite proud of that.  
While Brock’s birth story isn’t as exciting as Jake’s, I was able to slow down and enjoy it while it was happening. I wasn’t as scared and had some idea what I was doing.  So, there it is, my second and last birth story.

Mama Bear Out

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're not getting a Puppy, and B isn't old enough

Oh....hey...yeah...I kind of bailed huh? Well I had to choose something that had to go for my own sanity, and apparently this wa...