Monday, September 2, 2019

First batch of Broth

         
It's September now, and the unofficial start to my favorite season, Fall. I started putting out some fall decor, and one tradition in our house, I made a ton of broth last night. We have Souper Sundays in our house, and have a big pot of soup every week from about September to May. Where I just jarred 42 cups of chicken broth, I thought I would share what we do. 

         You ever had Costco Chicken? It's awesome. We grab one for dinner, then I rip the rest of it apart, freeze the leftover chicken and use the carcass for broth. This goes into a large stockpot. I used to fill the pot with water, but it's a huge and I get a better tasting broth if I put about half as much (and it still made 42 cups). I add about 5 carrots, 5 stalks of celery, a big onion, a red pepper, 1tblsp garlic (I like garlic) and a couple bay leaves. Salt comes down to a personal preference. I add a little less than 1/3 cup. For my taste it's great, but when in doubt less is more, you can always add more later. Bring it to a boil, and reduce to a simmer for 12 hours...yes 12 hours. I usually have it going all night. I let it cool some, then use pickle jars to store.

            This made for a nice golden batch for me, and will be a great start to my fall. Most of this goes in the freezer to cover us for a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're not getting a Puppy, and B isn't old enough

Oh....hey...yeah...I kind of bailed huh? Well I had to choose something that had to go for my own sanity, and apparently this wa...