Thursday, August 5, 2021

Meal Planning

I’m on a Facebook page that is all about cooking and meal planning, and it seems the common issue is everyone struggles to meal plan. Something I have been doing over the last couple years is simplifying in all areas I can. Meal planning can take WAY too long, like hours. I have successfully simplified this process, and am here to share with you. 
First my Master List. Making a master list of all of your meals you like to make, have them all together, it will make it easier. I did multiple lists if I’m being honest (if this is your first time reading my blog, I make lists…a lot). I have a list of main meals, sides, breakfasts, lunches, and snacks.  If I have all my ideas in one place, I could potentially leave it here, and just refer back on a weekly basis. 
Secondly, I make menus for several weeks. At the beginning of the summer, I did 7 weeks’ worth and set it all on the grill. I am now in my second round, and will probably need a revamp at the end (it will wrap up on the last weekend of the summer). This not only means I don’t need to worry about this for 7 weeks, I will also know what I need for the next 7 weeks. That means if I see a smoking deal on Hamburgers, and I know I will be making them in 2 weeks, I can grab them now
Next, every week, look it over and make sure it fits our plans. Saturday my Uncles will be here, and I had a meal I wanted to make for them, so my menu will adjust there. The next day will be Brock’s Birthday party, so the menu will adapt there too. 
Every so often I have cupboard cooking. So these menus don’t always go 100% plan. I may miss the night of pulled pork, because I had a ton of Beef and Broccoli to get rid of. So that tenderloin sits in the freezer. If this happens once a week, that’s a whole week of cupboard cooking (cupboard cooking is concept I learned about, where you always clear out your cupboards before buying anything). 
We also have theme nights, that can simplify planning further. For one, I do typically make a leftover night. We also always have pizza night on Friday nights. In the Fall I will go back to a larger special meal for Sundays (like roast or something), and Saturdays will be Souper Saturdays. 
Thus concludes my method of meal planning, and it looks like a lot, but it’s far less time consuming than the pitfalls I used to fall into. 
-Mama Bear Out
Nancy

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! We should all be so organized...šŸ˜Š

    ReplyDelete

We're not getting a Puppy, and B isn't old enough

Oh....hey...yeah...I kind of bailed huh? Well I had to choose something that had to go for my own sanity, and apparently this wa...